Saturday, July 11, 2009

Gambling With My Health



My late June trip to DC came complete with several protests. One outside the DOJ demanded investigation of Bush war crimes.
The other was gearing up outside the capitol building.

They all carried signed that read "Healthcare for America NOW."
As we meandered around The Hill, I couldn't help but notice how many different ages and ethnicities were united by their red shirts. All walks of life out to make their common voice heard. Josh and I were merely observers that hot summer afternoon; we were tourists, bystanders, temporarily entertained by America in action.
Let me tell you, I should have joined that protest. Healthcare just got real for me.

I am one of the 46 million people in America who are currently uninsured.

After graduation, there was no way to continue receiving student healthcare through the school. I started working part-time almost immediately, but my salary didn't include benefits. The hourly rate was good, but you can't do much with 20 hrs a week. Especially living in California. With rent + food + loans nearing 1400 a month, I knew I didn't have much financial wiggle room.

So when I went to shop for insurance I found there was little hope to make things work if I wanted to save any money. ~900 for 6 months coverage. High deducible. Coinsurance. Generic prescription meds, if you're lucky. A few had local doctors listed, but most networks required a bus trip out-of-town.
Even the cheaper options (~70/mo.) didn't offer much besides cover for catastrophic injuries. By the time I've reached 3,000 out of pocket I'm screwed anyways.

Oh yeah, let's not forget, I have a chronic, lifelong autoimmune disease. That's about as pre-existing as you can get. Even though I look perfectly healthy, my medical record reads like a verdict: cataract, allergies, asthma, celiac sprue. Filling out the 'history' section always leaves me uncomfortable and sad.

I didn't think I'm a gambling woman, but I'm certainly gambling now.
I figured it would be fine; I just had to last a couple of months uncovered. I'd eat healthy and exercise regularly. I dug up my bike helmet and stayed away from carcinogens and rusty nails. My crackerjack immune system should keep me safe.

Well, come Wednesday night I found myself on the phone with the local hospital. I'd been battling a mild infection for the past two weeks-- just couldn't shake it. Things weren't bad, yet, but I was afraid any more inaction would be foolish.

I wonder how many of these congressmen and women have ever been uninsured. How many time have they delayed treatment, worried it could literally overdraw their account? Have they ever sat up late at night, wondering where to turn? As a student, the health center is a few blocks away-- imagine where you would go without a primary care physician or an insurance card. At least I have steady income. What a frightening situation, finding yourself suddenly both unemployed and without coverage. Where would you get medication for your family? Yes, hospitals are always open, but that's one damn expensive walk-in clinic.

So when I watch videos online, dismissing the uninsured as lowlife deadbeats whining about pre-existing conditions, I take it personal. You're talking about ME. I'm not irresponsible-- I have a job and two degrees. I'm not extravagant-- I don't spend wildly and I most certainly didn't volunteer to have Celiac.
It's not a CHOICE to go 'naked' if you're nearly living paycheck to paycheck.

Healthcare is a right, not a privilege. Are you willing to argue only those with money can enjoy police protection? Or basic public education? Would you find fire care satisfactory? We all deserve some way to get and pay for treatment, not just healthy citizens burdened with leftover cash.

The government isn't trying to put a "bureaucrat between you and your doctor". What does that even mean?!?! You already have an insurance agent between you and any care! We are at the mercy of our insurance companies and guess what... they're out for PROFIT. You think people's health is any business' number one priority?
I also fail to see why public and private health insurance couldn't co-exist. We have public and private security, public and private loans, public and private parcel post, etc... each catering to their own nitch in the market.

I would have loved a public option... and the peace of mind knowing I was covered brings. Besides extending coverage to American citizens, real reform would create competition for private insurers (some of which have a monopoly over entire states!).
Single payer schemes creep me out for the same reason-- a regulated free market of ideas and services have proven successful in the past. I agree with Obama, let the people decide what they want. Not only would you, the consumer, have a choice between plans but you'd be receiving something tangible for your taxes. [You've always gotten services back from taxes, but that's another post].

-------------------------

In my situation, everything ended up alright. The wonderfully helpful receptionist at the hospital directed me to a local walk-in clinic, where I could get non-emergency prompt care. The staff was kind the the process was relatively hassle-free. I was able to get in and out within 2 hours, all under $300. I am willing to pay for good treatment. Amazingly, the antibiotics ended up being the cheapest part-- $12.

Hopefully there's a happy ending for the healthcare legislation. There will be if activists keep pressure on congress and the white house. We must be proactive... major companies' interests are represented by well-paid lobbyists. Until we can buy ourselves an inside spokesperson, we're left grassroots organizations and elected public servants.

[Oh yeah-- hey FDA... sure would be NICE to have drug companies declare major allergies in their products, you know, since people consume them. Kraft knows exactly what's in their cheese, why can't pharma nail down what's in their pills? Playing gluten roulette with antibiotics and painkillers is no beach vacation.]

2 comments:

  1. i'm with you ashley, i do'nt have insurance. and i had to make a trip to the er not that long ago. yeah it's costing me close to $3000!

    ReplyDelete
  2. $3000!?! Wow.. that really bites. I'm sorry. Hope they fixed you up well for that amount, anyways.

    ReplyDelete